Believe it or not, I went to a Christian school. No, I don't mean anything like the Catholic kind with uniforms and nuns but rather a place where Christianity was the predominant religion in our area. Of course, it was something I really didn't think about at the time. Even when that religious couple (whose name escapes me at the moment) would come to our school to teach us about Jesus and other biblical figures. If a teacher was discussing their personal beliefs, that was fine. I just saw it as a chance to relax for a bit; to get away from the boredom of class even for a brief moment. Such talks didn’t strengthen my beliefs nor converted me. I was just a kid trying being a kid. Looking back at it now, I realize how close minded everything really was. Christianity was seeped into every corner of our classroom and every child in there knew or was supposed to know, that God created everything. No exceptions.
These days, we have people screaming their opposition concerning the separation of religion from schools. This, of course, is mostly from Christian mouths. But what do I think? As a non Christian, do I feel that there should be a dividing line? Certainly not. I welcome religion in schools in fact. BUT if you're going to have biblical quotes put up on the wall, you should also have passages from the Torah and other religious texts as well. Let the children make up their own minds on what to believe and not what adults want them to think.
No comments:
Post a Comment