Lately I've been noticing quite a few memes and posts asking for "the Lord" to help them in their time of need. This sort of thing has always bothered me. Not so much the religious aspect of it because I feel that everyone should be allowed to follow what they believe in. What bothers me is the reluctance of some individuals to wade through the hardships themselves. Granted, it's good to have friends and family as support but in the end, we're the ones who have to make the choice. That's the price of free will. You have to take the good with the bad.
I'm sure, by now, there are some of you out there who are getting all huffy by reading this.
But what about my *insert relative here* who might die of cancer?
Hey, asshole. What if my children were murdered? Why shouldn't I pray to get through the pain?
But I'm not talking about those things. I'm talking about things we can take care of on our own. Sure, divorces suck but we get through them eventually and find someone else to love us. We get the flu and for the longest time it doesn't seem like we'll ever have a moment of peace because we're running to the bathroom every five minutes. Guess what? In time, that too eventually passes. I could go on and on but I think you get my meaning.
My point is that is that we become a herd of crybabies and instead of growing balls (figuratively, of course) and addressing the situation properly, we go running to a higher being in hopes that he, she, it, whatever, will simply snap their fingers, making everything all rosey again. This was not what I was taught growing up. When we were kids, you learned that life wasn't going to be a bowl of cherries. You fall down and scrape your knee, you get up and carry on. Somewhere down the road, most have forgotten this lesson and that’s what disturbs me the most.