Sunday, May 11, 2014

Well look at me. Writing again. Must be in one of those moods. lol

Earlier, I was listening to a great bm band which led me to think about my own project and it's uncertain future. When I first started Hexe Haus (Later to be reborn as Invoking the Crows), I had high hopes despite the downward spiral of interesting music. But the more I look at how things are, the more I start to think, "What am I doing this for? Who am I doing this for?" After much thought, I began to realize that most people didn't deserve to hear what I created. No, I don't mean I think I'm the shit or that my music is the best thing out there. What I'm saying is that a lot of people out there want repetition with very little artistic merit. What's even more disturbing is they also want all this music for free. Where does that leave the true artist? Granted, I'll always do music and such, for myself. But I used to think that it would be awesome for other people to enjoy as well. In turn, they could pay for it and that money would go towards the funding of future releases. Of course, this isn't the case anymore. A vast majority seem to think that since artists do what they do for the love of music, writing, painting, etc., they should give their creations away for free and any desire for monetary compensation would make us "assholes." My question is this: Why shouldn't we be allowed to make money off our creations? It's our stuff. We should be able to do with it as we please. Plus, you have to factor in the costs of material for our craft as well as doing such things as promotion and studio time (Especially the latter for those who are loathe to go the computer route). Some may argue that since we work our 9 to 5 jobs, that should be more than enough money to do what we need to do. Ever hear of bills, kids? And unless you live in a cave, you should know times are tough.

This all leads me back to my original questions and the fate of Invoking. After careful deliberation, I've decided to keep doing this and any other music project I have in mind. However, the chances of this being made available to the public is pretty much nil for the time being. The only exception to this rule would be really close family and friends because unless I see some sort of change out there, Invoking the Crows will remain underground.