As a kid I was always a sucker for horror and ghost stories. Fortunately for me, my elementary school library at the time had a few books on these very subjects. One was called Baleful Beasts and Eerie Creatures and the other, Monster Tales: Vampires, Werewolves & Things.
Looking back on it now I never realized how fucked up some of these stories were. Especially the one from Monster Tales... entitled Werewolf Boy in which a boy named Stefan (Ha!) runs into an old noseless witch who's quite willing to help him get some revenge. Or the one entitled Wendigo's Child where the main character finds what appears to be the bones of a small child with a birds skull in place of a human head. The basement part of the end of the story still gives me the creeps when I think about it.
(The photo above is taken from Monster Tales... Yeah, I'm sure it was a story book and not some evil tome of magic.)
A couple of years I thought about these very same books and had a strong desire to find and purchase them. I did succeed on finding Baleful Beasts... but the prices I kept finding were ridiculous. I know it's out of print and all but over $200 for one book? Screw that! Looking again tonight, I saw the price had lowered slightly on the used versions. Unfortunately though it's not low enough to make it worth my time. Monster Tales... I found recently and the price is more in line with what I think is reasonable but it's still high enough to where I'm thinking "Ehhhhhh. Maybe I'll get it one of these days when some generous person hands me a huge wad of cash out of the kindness of their hearts." :)


